This month sees some interesting developments in the top 25 Advance Board games on Amazon.
Some items have not changed. The top three games by company continue to be:
- Rio Grande Games
- Days of Wonder
What is different is that Rio Grande, rather than having a single winner, has maintained their #2 spot but with a completely different game from a year ago. Currently Dominion is the #2 selling game, replacing Carcassonne, which has slipped to number to #8.
But even though for the past 18 months that The Game Whisperer has been tracking sales, Mayfair's Settlers of Catan has remained #1, the other Settlers products have begun to slide down the list. This month, Settlers of Catan 5-6 player expansion is a solid #4, but Cities and Knights is now #14, Settlers of Catan Bundle is #21, Seafarers is #23, and Traders and Barbarians is down to #36.
This is certainly respectable, but Mayfair must find a way to develop games that have a name not associated with Settlers. They do not have any other game that makes the list within the top 50.
Days of Wonder Ticket to Ride Series continues to keep them on the list with Ticket to Ride #3 and Ticket to Ride Europe #11 and the 1910 expansion at #16. Small World is down to #30 as the only other Days of Wonder game.
Whatever magic they are using over at Rio Grande Games, it appears to be working. In the top 25, Rio Grande has four different types of games in the top 25 in addition to five expansions. With 9 entries in the top 25, they nearly double the second place company, Mayfair, who has five Settlers games.
The other vendors in the top 25 this month are Z-Man Games with Pandemic at #5 and Pandemic on the Brink at #25, Gamewright with Forbidden Island at #6, Steve Jackson Games with Munchkin at #9, Asmodee with 7 Wonders at #13 and Dixit at #24, Lone Oak with the Resistance at #19, and Fantasy Flight Games with Citadels at #23.
Here is the list in order:
- Settlers of Catan by Mayfair Games Mayfair Games
- Dominion by Rio Grande Games Rio Grande Games
- Ticket to Ride by Days of Wonder Days of Wonder
- Settlers of Catan 5-6 Player by Mayfair
- Pandemic by Z-Man Games Z-Man Games
- Forbidden Island by Gamewright Forbidden Island
- Bohnanza by Rio Grande Games
- Carcassonne by Rio Grande Games
- Munchkin by Steve Jackson Games Munchkin
- Dominion Intrigue by Rio Grande Games
- Ticket to Ride Europe by Days of Wonder
- Puerto Rico by Rio Grande Games
- 7 Wonders by Asmodee Asmodee
- Settlers of Catan Cities and Knights by Mayfair
- Carcassonne Big Box by Rio Grande Games
- Ticket to Ride 1910 by Days of Wonder
- Dominion Prosperity by Rio Grande Games
- Dominion Big Box by Rio Grande Games
- The Resistance by Indie Boards and Cards
- Settler of Catan Bundle by Mayfair
- Dominion Cornucopia by Rio Grande Games
- Settlers of Catan Seafarers by Mayfair
- Citadels by Fantasy Flight Games Fantasy Flight Games
- Dixit by Asmodee
- Pandemic on the Brink by Z-Man
It is nice to see some smaller independent game companies break into the top 25. We miss Flying Frog's Last Night on Earth. It should make comeback around Halloween. Fluxx dropped out this month all the way down to #40. But good news, Star Wars Fluxx is on the way.
It is interesting that game companies like Fantasy Flight and Wizards of the Coast struggle to get a game into the top 25. They are successful game companies just selling to a different audience than those who buy their games on Amazon.